Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Plane for a Classroom Part II....

Having spoken to the Headmaster at Kingsland Primary School about their unusual Geography classroom, I am even more intrigued by the plane than before....

Although I haven't had chance to go and look for myself, I am told that the plane is fitted with cinema style fold down seating, interactive TV, and is also kitted out as a recording studio!

Children at Kingsland Primary School in Bucknall, Stoke on Trent, each have passports in which they collect merits. The merits can then be traded in for various activities that are available on their plane, such as using the recording studio! Along with this the plane is used on a regular basis as an additional classroom. Anyone who knows Stoke on Trent will know that generally Bucknall is not a particularly affluent area of the city and the plane could possibly provide the only opportunity for some of the pupils to ever go on a plane!

The Headmaster, Mr David Lawrence, told me that the school had been visited by delegates from the G8 Summit, specifically to view the plane and find out more about it as a part of their discussions on providing creativity in education. Apparently this was a worldwide first, although there is now another plane classroom at a school in Nottingham!

As you can see from the photo above, which I took today, the plane looks in considerably better shape than it did on the link and video that I posted the other day - I guess that is because it now you can see it in all it's glory with wings and tail back in place.

I think this is an amazing thing for the pupils at Kingsland Primary School - yesterday at work, a gentleman walked into the reception and asked me if it was true that there was a plane here. Apparently he and some friends had heard about it and had travelled from Luton to try and find it - perhaps they read about it on my blog....

1 comment:

  1. Love the passport idea. There are some very lucky children at that school! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading what you think of my posts.

Lou :-)