Friday, September 09, 2011

Why....

I have been somewhat shocked by some of the posts and comments on posts that I have read on others blogs in the last few days, and it has prompted me to speak out and say as I feel - everyone else seems to be doing it so why not me...I may well lose a few followers by writing this but hey, I 've only got 17 to begin with, and my writing was never about the numbers anyway - it was about me getting my thoughts and feelings out of my head and onto paper where they were less of a danger to my sanity!

I accept that everyone is entitled to their opinion - but how on earth can you form an opinion on something unless you have all of the facts? Some of the things I am reading of late are pretty harsh and quite frankly ill informed, which makes them even more dangerous!

Anyone who has read comments that I leave, or posts on my blog will know that I speak from the heart and am never judgemental of anyone else. I am often reminded of the phrase "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", yet more and more I am seeing lots of stones being thrown, and although I have no proof, I suspect that many of them are being thrown from houses that are made of glass!

If you read something in a blog and it is on a subject that you are well informed on or are trained to deal with, then go for it - set people straight, but do it in a compassionate manner. Read and re-read what you have written before you hit the post comment button. Think to yourself, how would I feel if someone said this to me? Ask yourself whether your words could be interpreted in a way that is different to what you intend? because everyone knows that the written word is open to far more interpretation than the spoken one, and we should take extra care to ensure that our meaning is taken in the right way.

When posting on a subject, unless you are well-informed, try and refrain from giving people so called 'expert' advice because quite frankly unless you are speaking with some authority the advice you give could be damaging and dangerous, and I for one do not want something like that on my conscience. If you want to post your opinion - say "this is only my opinion", and then continue to write with the aforementioned compassion for the reader, and not the mentality of a bull in a china shop!

Life is far too short and too precious for us blogger's to continue with this barrage of sarcastic criticism and well meant but misinformed advice. Experiencing a situation may give you further insight on a subject, but does it really make you an expert. Many of us may have similar stories to tell and experiences to share, but unless you have walked a mile in my shoes, please don't tell me that you have all the answers and this is what I should do. By all means open up a dialogue and lets swap stories and experiences and perhaps help each other that way, but please remember, no two lives are the same, there may be similarities but that is all they are - similarities, and to be quite honest, unless you really know me and I really know you, neither of us in really in a position to comment in a negative and potentially damaging way!


And yes, this is only my opinion, and it is formed by my reading of posts and comments from other blogs as well as my own, but to be deadly honest - would it really kill you to be nice? As I have had it drummed into me over the years

"if you can't say something nice - say nothing at all!"

Rant over....




5 comments:

  1. I personally, haven't come across this particular issue, yet, but I must say, I love reading your post. I may not get around to posting a comment all the time..mainly because most of the time, I have a baby on my lap. Ha! But seriously, you write so real and honest, and I love that. If people would delete you because you are speaking from your heart then their loss. Sometimes we just have to vent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I've read quite a bit about this in recent times and am amazed that this kind of thing happens. Why would people be so nasty out of nowhere? It's not helpful and just kills discussion. Loved your post.
    @PollyBurns2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know where this came from, if someone offered advice to you on emigration, YOU are that expert by now!

    Remember opinions are like assholes - everyone has one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully Joe this hasn't come from anything that people have said to me - but has come from other blogs that I read and comment on. More and more I am seeing opinions being made in what is quite frankly a vile way. Yep you are right everyone does have an opinion but that doesn't mean that you have to be an asshole when you make it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is inceredibly well put Lou. I would have struggled to put it into words.

    We do sometimes lay our hearts on the line in the things that we write, to have them trampled on carelessly, unthinkingly or out of spite can be very damaging.

    Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading what you think of my posts.

Lou :-)