Thursday, March 07, 2013

New Car....

I have been waiting and waiting and doing my level best to not act like a petulant child about my getting a new car. We have looked and compared and discussed and test driven and we decided before the move that a Subaru Outback was the best car for us.

It really ticked all the boxes on our must have list:

  • 4 FWD
  • Manual Gearbox
  • Enough boot space for dog and or camping gear etc
  • Roof rack for transporting kayaks, camping gear and the occasional naughty child (lol....only joking)
  • Comfortable to drive
  • Be a responsive drive
  • Be capable of towing the trailer if needed
Now where I come from you are either Scubie (Subaru Imprezza Sport) person or and Evo (Mitsubishi Evolution) person, and I have always fallen on the Evo side of the debate, fiding the Scubie to be ugly and just not up to par, so I was very sceptical about even looking at the Outback. However, after agreeing that it do look pretty good, and being persuaded into the drivers seat for a test drive, I was smitten. We had tried to nuy on the day before we set off for our road trip from CA to AR, but the salesperson at the local Subaru garage in Monrovia, CA was insistent on playing that back and forth game despite S telling them that we would walk out if they did - Result - we walked out and didn't buy.

Anyway, S had been in touch with the local dealer here in Arkansas - Adventure Subaru - and because they had failed to return his initial emails agreed to give us a fantastic price on a shiny new 2013 Subaru Outback. S spoke with the salesman, Justin Weiss, and said, could he have the car and the paperwork ready by Saturday, so we could literally walk in, sign and drive away! Justion was confident he could, so last Saturday we headed off down to Adventure Subaru to pick up my new baby.

Here she is:
Me & my new baby
I have to admit that I am just totally in love with this car. There is a no food or drink except water rule in place, and I will batter anyone who disrespects being in my car. This is the first brand new car I have ever owned and I intend to make sure she stays looking gorgeous for ever. She has some cool stuff with is totally new to me like bluetooth phone, so I can call everyone while I am driving and not have to juggle earpieces or pull over. She has an electronic parking brake. This is uber cool in my opinion. You press the parking break button to engage the brake, but you do not have to press it again to release the brake. As long as the car is in gear and the driver or driver and front passenger have their seat belts on, the brake will automatically let itself off as you start to pull forward or reverse - How cool is that? There is also an additional hill brake which again is activated by the touch of a button as well, and which is designed to help out with those awful hill starts we all know and love so much. It has AWD (all wheel drive) and this is active unless I deactivate it. It will auto reactivate itself if the car exceeds 30mph as a safety feature so you can't accidentally turn it off and then go ice-skating on freezing roads! It has auto headlights which I think are pretty cool and a 2.5litre, 6 speed manual gearbox. Lots of people including one of my sisters, have asked me why on earth I chose a manual, but the reasoning is quite simple - I learned to drive in a manual, so it is a natural thing for me, plus having a manual gearbox gives you far greater control of the car in differing situations. People who have only ever really driven an automatic will have no idea what I am talking about, and in all honesty you are really missing out on some great driving experiences. Yes I know and accept that auto transmission can handle the gear changes really well and efficiently, but it cannot react as quickly in a bad weather situation, and it cannot make a decision to change down a gear to help slow the car if needed. Manual transmission adds a whole new level to driving and I for one do not want to be without that, and I want to make sure that the boys both experience that as they start to learn to drive. I know my beautiful A will learn in a manual car in the UK, but here in the US it is one of those things that people have become apathetic about and as a result prefer the laziness of an automatic. I have spoken to several people who admit they have no clue where to start in driving with a 'stick'.

Anyway, I have to agree to disagree over the transmission thing. The Outback does have an option to have an auto transmission even though the manual is the standard. I can't wait to do a long journey in her to see how she fares. I am sure she will handle anything and everything we are able to throw at her, but I also know that if she lets me down in any way - you guys will be among the first to know about it!

Have a wonderful day

11 comments:

  1. I always lked manual, but for most cars the automatic is standard. If you want automatic you have to pay more and wait.. They are never on the lot.

    Anyway enjoy your new car.

    I was hoping this was one of those posts where we had a chance to get a new car as a give away. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited? Much??? You??? :) - Lol Lou, can't say I blame you - it looks fantastic!

    I was kinda hoping you'd had second thoughts and wanted to give it away too ....

    Which brings me on to a giveaway I'm going to be doing (it's all me, me, me y'know) - should be on the blog on Monday - keep your eyes peeled lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOooo, Lou, you are so stylin! I love it! Such a fun time in life, in my opinion :)

    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting the car you wanted, Lou! I prefer manual transmission myself, but if you’re switching from an automatic, there are some things that you need to get used to. But it doesn’t seem like that’s deterring your excitement over your new car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Bulah.....I learned to drive in a manual and I hate automatics. I would never choose an auto. There is no adjustment to be made for me. Our other car is a manual, it was just the old truck I was using that was an automatic and that is one of the reasons I hated it so much. :-D

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I’m in love with your car too! She seems to be totally incredible by the way you describe her awesome features here. I hope she won’t ever let you down and, may you be able maintain her gorgeousness forever. Anyway, manual transmission rocks! Take care, and always drive her safely, Luo. =)


    Lawrence Harkness

    ReplyDelete
  6. “No food and drinks except water rule in place” is a good way of ensuring your car’s neatness. Now, that’s one unique perk of having your new car: you get to set the rules. Haha! With you being this keen on maintenance, I am sure you will be enjoying it for many years to come. Cheers!
    Prince Moss

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new car! Most especially the new car smell! How I wish there's a scent called "A New Car Smell" in the market. For sure, there would be lots of people buying this car scent. It's hard not to have food and drinks in the car, especially if you're always on the go, and also if you have kids always on board. Just make sure to have it washed and vacuumed at least once a week to maintain its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of congratulation of you. Your new 2013 Subaru looking amazing and it's my favourite car recent time. It's really great feelings when we bought our new car.

    Lone Mountain Truck Leasing

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good to know that the car you purchased has all the necessary specifications for which you were looking for. I hope that I can also a car which can complete my needs.
    auto transport quotes , car shipping quotes , free auto transport quotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a nice Way to show people something! Like the Post! car finance houston

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading what you think of my posts.

Lou :-)